View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That is part of the clientele. I only use the library's electronic services myself, but my understanding from people I have talked to is that many library clients still use the book-lending service (certainly much of the space requirement for the new library is still tied to the this service) . I suspect many of those people have to pop in and pop out to pick up books they have reserved, drop off books, etc.

I think part of the issue is that many parts of Ottawa have an underdeveloped branch network so for many parts of the city the main branch is either the closest branch, the closest branch of any size, or easier to get to than the local branch.
Genuine question here: If we need to make sure the new library is accessible to not just Centretown, but other areas of the city as well, wouldn't this support the current proposed location of the new library, given that it is within walking distance of an LRT station?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Library board member not swayed by opposition to LeBreton Flats location
More than 200 residents came out to oppose LeBreton Flats location.

By: Dylan C. Robertson For Metro Published on Fri Jan 20 2017

She dismissed those suggesting the library be put in Confederation Park, because “those same people have said we don’t have enough park land in Centretown.”

She said the city hosted multiple consultations last year.

“Some people in the central area; they made up their minds before we even started, that it had to be in a particular area,” she said. “They wanted it between Bronson and the Canal. It's 50 metres from Bronson. Like, it's not a long way away.”

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...on-flats-.html
I appreciate Wilkinson making these comments, to point out the hypocrisy of certain people. There are fair criticisms of the proposed location, and it may not be perfect, but given all the constraints they are working with I don't think it's a bad spot by any means.

(Also, hey gang. Long time lurker finally feeling like getting into the chats with everyone! I'm not from Ottawa originally but this board has taught me so much about the city that I haven't read anywhere else, and I really appreciate that!!)