View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:11 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The way I see the problem is that building owners and the preservation community in Detroit so often give these big entities ins by not showing the empty buildings the love the buildings need beforehand (i.e. sometimes, that means simply not even closing them off for preservation), and then showing up at the last minute to try and stop demolition plans in motion. I wish the presevation community and the landlords of Detroit would start being more proactive than reactive, then an institution like WSU could legitimately ask the question "well, where were you ten years ago?" Albeit, this is not always the case. Sometimes, recently vacated historic buildings get torn down in Detroit. But a lot of the times the efforts of the presevation community do seem to be a day late and a dollar short, as they say.

But, yeah, in this particular case, this is more about WSU being a bad neighbor. I think they've gotten so used to being the only game in town in their area of the city for so long that they think they can get away with anything.