View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 2:04 PM

My company's been involved with the E, D and now looks like the T renovations (hopefully we'll get our LOI this week). Honestly, in less than a year the WHOLE process has changed tremendously in regards to costs and estimates so forth.....

E was first and we have over 76 changes because of the city's lack of planning ahead and allowing the architects/engineers to actually do a thorough job before releasing drawings and contracts for construction. D has had less than 45 so far and it was much more intense in the renovations and additions.

T documents were much better and appear to finally start to get the process correct after spending $100's of millions on renovations. However, many of the finishes put in D and E over the past couple months are now going to be pulled right back out over the next year or so to match A & B.

Anyway, lol, it's a lot of work and undertaking at one time to keep the airport running daily while doing close to $500 million in cosmetic upgrades; however, the city has done a poor job IMO of upholding it's part in the process overall. Seriously, the International Terminal is going to end up costing the city so much more than it ever should have and it's the city's fault that they now are having to start over. It's a shame that no one from the airport would step up to the council and admit how much the city changed it's initial proposal for construction to the final prodcut designed....which is now being scrapped and ending in law suits that I think the city will loose. Eventhough I have no involvement in design/architecture.....I do know how the city tends to operate. I also know what the city initially requested in design and how they kept adding square footage, equipment, additional gates and so forth to that request but then never wanted to pay for these changes. Then, the council balked at the revised cost estiamtes, but no one from the airport publicly would admit that they had requested such a huge change from initially. Now, it will be 15 years probably before the new terminal ever opens honestly.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!