View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
The GTA people, like myself, moved back at a 95%+ rate. I think this is mainly due to being used to bigger city life. Plus if you're a minority, anywhere outside GTA is not going to have that same level of diversity, which is important to most minorities.

As well, I think GTA people (and young people in general) go back home expecting their shiny new degree is going to land them some fancy job at the big investment or marketing firm, or medical research lab, or get their foot in the door at city hall or Queens Park. Then reality hits you. It's not that simple. Unless you're at the top of your class, despite the abundance of industries, you're going to find there's a lot of competition for those ideal job. Yes you'll get a job, but it'll be much lower down than what you expected.
A number of the Queens students I knew were either international students or from the GTA (I dated one of each during my years there). Very anecdotal, but the international student I knew came from a very large city overseas and she was incredibly bored in Kingston, and was determined to move to one of Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa or Montreal upon graduation. She struggled a lot with Kingston's size, and being a visible minority in an overwhelmingly white, git-r-done city was difficult for her.