View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Transit isn't going to pay for itself based on fares.
Drivers (truckers, etc.) aren't going to be paying for the complete cost of building and maintaining roadways. I doubt cyclists do either.
Patients don't pay for the full cost of healthcare.
Parents don't pay for the full cost of schooling.
Welfare recipients don't pay the full cost of their benefits.
Library and community centre users don't pay for the full cost of those services.

I don't really think that you should expect users to foot the entire bill of some types of costs like infrastructure or social services costs.
Even if you don't drive, roads benefit the community at large by allowing goods movement, fire, ambulance and police response, as well as transit services.

The fact of the matter is - as a taxpayer, you pay for "stuff" that you don't use (and in some case (like welfare) hopefully never use).
Your missing the the word directly.

In that "patients do not directly pay for the full cost of health care"
or "parents do not directly pay for the full cost in sending their kids to school" We all pay for the full cost. Just part of that cost is directly the other part indirectly.

I'm not saying that car drivers need to foot the full bill of what it costs for them to drive. I am sort of asking are they paying a fair share of that cost. To say they pay enough already does not mean that they may pay a fair share.