View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 8:51 AM

Frank Lloyd Wright in Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Thanks Garry and Jon!

Speaking of Frank Lloyd Wright, are there any of Wright's Prairie-style houses in Los Angeles, or were they all of the Usonian/Mayan Block types? I seem to recall two Wright houses being posted about on this thread: one, of course, being the Ennis-Brown House – used in the greatest modern-era L.A. noir film of all (IMHO, that being Blade Runner) – which utilized the Mayan Block motif, but I don't recall the style of the other. I don't think it was Prairie, though. Anyway, just curious.

-Scott
By pure definition, no. Wright designed five Mayan Revival houses in the Los Angeles area. Most experts consider Hollyhock House (the Aline Barnsdall house that was discussed briefly in this thread) to be a combination of Prarie-style and mayan block. That was his first LA house and it is felt that he was "dipping his toe" into the textile block design by, in effect, using it as a modernization of and augmentation to his most noted design style.

Hollyhock House

Entrance

Living Room

Windows

Exterior Detail

His Mayan revival/textile block designs were not well received and Wright abandoned the theme after Los Angeles. Interestingly though, his son LLoyd Wright continued using variations of Mayan Revival/textile block in many of his own designs for years afterwards.

Lloyd Wright's Snowden House

activerain.com

~Jon Paul

All other images courtesy Hollyhock House Foundation

Last edited by Fab Fifties Fan; Sep 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM. Reason: Added photos