View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:08 AM

pdxtex, what kind of work do you do that makes you feel so secure about the future? I'm 70 years old, and, if you told me just 15 or 20 years ago that I could obtain a vast library of accurate information, live-stream video, make around the world phone calls, send and receive pictures, text, or email practically anywhere in the world from my little hand held all purpose wireless device and I could do it without incurring any extra charges to boot, I would have suggested that you see a shrink. That was the kind of shit that only Dick Tracy could do on his magic wrist watch, which was not an Apple Watch by the way. I have seen so much change come so quickly in my lifetime. I suspect it is more than likely that most of the work now done by humans (not just manufacturing or truck driving but also most intellectual tasks involving creative thinking, organizational skills, and problem solving) will be done by computers and various forms of AI within the next two or three decades. 90% of humankind will become redundant and scarily expendable. The other 10% might still be needed to function as technicians in the service of this vastly superior artificial intelligence. One suspects our new masters won't feel the need to provide universal basic income. They'll probably just send a genetically engineered final solution our way and get on with their business.

Last edited by austlar1; May 4, 2017 at 5:18 AM.