View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:39 AM

I saw this the other day while snooping around the intertubes. (I don't recall seeing it on nla)

labeled: "Crowd on a city street (near 5th Street and Coast Federal Savings building)"

Joseph Fadler 1970

Well, the street is Broadway. The marquee in the foreground is for the Cameo Theater. (note: the Million Dollar Theater appears much closer than it actually is)

from around the same period of time. (?)

cinematreasures

At first I thought it said "The Power Notorious Cleopatra, Teenage Hitch Hiker." haha

all boarded up.

cinematreasures

I know we have gone over this in the past...but here's a brief history.

"Opened as Clune’s Broadway Theatre October 10, 1910, it was an original nickelodeon theatre
and is a rare example to survive today almost unaltered. Its operator William H. (Billy) Clune
was an early pioneer film producer and exhibitor. Architect Alfred F. Rosenheim
designed a Beaux-Arts interpretation of Italian Renaissance Revival style. Its original roof-top electric sign
and ‘digital’ clock were Downtown landmarks for many years. In 1925 until 1926
it was operated by Universal Pictures chain and renamed Cameo Theatre. In the late-1920’s
it was operated by H.L. Gumbiner (who soon was to build the Tower Theatre and Los Angeles Theatre
further along South Broadway) who replaced the sign and clock with a large 24-sheet billboard."

Not to be confused with Clune's Auditorium

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:08 AM.