View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:28 PM
Closed account

Philly has seen a population increase, no doubt. Roughly 9.2% over a decade. Compared to 14.8% for Boston and 12.2% for NYC. I would hardly call it a boom. I suppose as a relative newcomer to the city (4 years) I really consider CC to be Philly whereas it is much more than that.

I live in Philadelphia because I currently work here. If I am going to be jacked for 4% I might as well get some benefit. The city has crappy schools, a wage tax and a decent, but not amazing job market. I support anything that entices people to live and buy in this city as I think it will make it better. IMO, if you increase the cost of living in this city it will become less enticing for people (hence why I support the abatement).

As for saying negative things about this city, so what. This is a forum to talk about real estate development, not a cheerleading squad. I've lived and will live in other cities and get no pride or embarrassment from a zip code.

As for my cleaning up comment, once again, as a newcomer that is my opinion. You have nice Rittenhouse and then you waste land Market St. The city (once again, IMO) is filling in the rough spots, but it needs more people living and working in the city, and more building.

So I will continue to discuss building and development in the city and when appropriate, make an opinion based comment on my impression of Philadelphia. If that comes off negative I hope you understand that it isn't direct at you, just at one mans opinion of a city.