Thread: Your city hall
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 6:27 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
She is a beaut. Excellent example of mid-century modern / international style architecture. I thought there was talks about tearing it down to build a new one maybe 10 years ago? The school board building across the street was also an interesting piece of architecture.. but it's toast now. Too bad.
There was, they chose to renovate the building instead. I believe it was built in a way that it can be expanded upon with a taller tower if the need ever arises one day. Even with the building's current size and post renovation condition, there are municipal offices spread out all over downtown in various different buildings, including the recently renovated Lister Block building (across from the site of the original city hall). I'd imagine that a major expansion or an entirely new building will be needed within the next 20 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."