View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting question. I think the increase in filming has much more to do with tax incentives than with the viewing choices of Chicago residents and ex-pat Chicagoans.

Remember that before Dick Wolf came along and decided to mythologize the city as "real America", many of the movies filmed in Chicago were set in other places. That's still the case, in fact.
yea, i would say it boils down to tax incentives, period. obviously having a diverse amount of locations and backdrops helps. but overall, you can film anywhere today and turn it into somewhere else if you really want to. at the end of the day, Dick Wolf shows are as generic as they come. theyre surface level cop/firefighter/ER dramas. if the film office wasnt offering incentives, i doubt they would have shot as many shows here regardless of the skyline.

its not like the Wire which was dealing with social and political issues of Baltimore, was written explicitly for that locale, and took employing locals off the street as a point of pride.