Thread: Flamborough
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 4:42 AM
On Guard For Thee

I'm not getting into a tit-for-tat game. I didn't suggest the City of Hamilton "FORCED" the big box development in Flamborough--I pointed out the fact that the interim control by-law which prevented pre-amalgamation disappeared when the town disappeared. That is no more a suggestion that the new city "forced" it than your suggestion that the city (only inner city taxpayers?) were paying for the 5/6 reconstruction. Again, despite years/months of absolutely tearing the City administration to pieces--you are quick to rush to their defence when it is convenient--frankly I find this a confusing disconnect.

Take a serious look at a few of the posts in this thread and how often you read the word "THEY" then get back to me on exactly how it is that you see the region working together--they do this, they do that, they are crybabies, etc. I never agreed with amalgamation whatsoever--it's cost savings were grossly overstated and the resulting amalgam is simply too diverse to operate effectively. This was recognized in the Montreal area where a plebiscite decided which island communities would revert to their own identities and which would remain part of the MUC. Regional government was flawed--definitely, but no more flawed than the current model. Regional government allowed for the sharing of some key services while retaining others locally in distinct, identifiable communities. The former City of Hamilton's lack of growth potential was absolutely a key point in the process--failing to recognize that fails to address the root problems with the current scenario.

Accepting the fact that amalgamation happened and the band of dunces at Queens Park will never reverse it--where do we go from here. To be frank, as much as you all display a lot of progressive ideas here--you actually hate 3/4 of the land mass and about half of your own city's population. When downtown was dying there were still dairy cattle grazing behind Lime Ridge Mall (itself within the proper City of Hamilton)--so how does the blame get affixed to the suburbs when the bulk of downtown's deterioration came during a time when the most growth was within the city itself? By the time Regional government was abolished explosive growth in the suburbs was just coming to pass, and downtown had already been hollowed out--abandoned as much by Hamitonians themselves as Ancasterites or Dundasians.

This whole sidewalk issue is an interesting one. There are several developments reaching back to the 1950s and 1960s which were constructed without sidewalks. Some people like them, others don't. I live in a 70s subdivision that has them on a single side of the streets, other areas have double, some areas have none.

As for realcity--we get that you HATE the suburbs, everything they stand for and all the people in them...loud and clear...which is why your avatar is made of predominantly suburban retailers. Indeed, there are people of narrow-minds who think provincially and as a result will never visit downtown, and despite what may seem like differences of opinion--you my friend, are exactly like them.