View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
How about eliminating the income tax altogether and raise the GST/HST rate?
According to popular lore , income tax was supposed to be a temporary tax . So I've heard anyway .

The thing about taxes is that once the government gets its hands on your money , it starts planning how to spend it . In fact , usually it spends the money and then realizes it doesn't have enough so it raises your taxes . The government also isn't big on plebiscites either which means that they'll decide when and by how much your taxes should be raised .

The fact is that politicians makes promises that get them elected and then they realize that they have to make good on those promises if they want to keep their jobs . The general public doesn't seem to like to think too far ahead ... as in "I want a national daycare system." Sure , and if we actually get it , it won't be free . The part that people always seem to forget is that it's not really "the government's" money that's going to be spent , it's our own . Governments just keep spending until there's nothing left and the credit cards are maxed out . THEN you get Greece .

What I'm saying with all of this is that if you want your services , the money has to come from somewhere . Scrap any tax , introduce a flat tax , re-work the entire thing ... it doesn't matter . One way or another you're going to pay for it all . There will be no savings for you and chances are that you'll wind up paying more in the end if you want to re-work everything .