View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:56 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I was hoping that since Salt Lake City is now attracting some major national/international players that there could be a draw from outside Utah of the skilled labor for the major projects such as Patrinely, Held, etc., but Downtown, Central and West Los Angeles has an amazing number of mega projects under construction and in the pipeline waiting to commence. Many are 50 to 95 stories tall and some cover major acreage not unlike CCC. I don't see any labor from So. Calif. making its way to the Wasatch any time soon. I guess the good news is that when things are going this gangbuster in L.A., Salt Lake City is often a healthy market for development proposals also.

There's a lot of positive I could say about the skilled Latino labor in the construction field. That also holds true for young Latinos. They totally understand the importance of being a skilled tradesman and being able to advance into having your own crew and building your own business reputation. I had some property issues yesterday to deal with, and had to rely on that skilled labor. In the process I became acquainted with the business owner and he and his families 30 year expericence in the U.S. Not to wade through the morass of politics, but along with doctors, tech wonks and the like, I hope that the Wasatch Front will make plenty of room for the extremely valuable skilled latino workforce.
I agree with this. There seems to be a breaking point for most firms. They either lay low and do smaller jobs the big guys don't want to do or are big boys who only do huge projects. Material prices have stabilized somewhat but SLC is so isolated geographically that for a firm to move from, say, Boise to SLC is no small feat. These absurd and artificially low rates have created a once in a lifetime financing environment that won't stop large market construction barring a big faceplant from the economy. So, no relief.