View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:31 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Sorry if that sounds incendiary - I actually do believe that the interchange is way past due for being upgraded. But I think it's important to stop and think a bit about the best way to spend our money. Before we start talking about a new bridge I think we really, really ought to consider the tolling option, at least during peak times. That, and more transit options. Imagine the transit improvements we could make for $250,000 per person!
The interchanges are also a huge safety issue. They regularly cause crashes which back up the bridge and non-bridge traffic alike. There is literally no merge on several movements in the North Shore. In a slow vehicle, they're fucking terrifying. I'm sure bus drivers coming out of Phibbs are overjoyed to get rid of that merge.

The other thing about the interchange upgrades is that they're going to make it so East-West traffic can bypass the bridge queue. Right now everything East of the highway is cut off from the rest of North Van when traffic is bad now. There are no ways around the bridge traffic.

I however would totally support Skytrain heading to the North Shore. Hastings to Second Narrows to Lonsdale wouldn't be all that hard to build.