View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUM View Post

Personally, I would like to see the architectural guidelines allow for people to change their home to reflect their personality and lifestyle as they see fit. I think it’s ridiculous that people be restricted to a regulated palette of colors and materials that create these themed communities. I realize the issue for many is they don't want to live next to the purple house because they hate purple or feel it lowers the value of their home. I guess I find it interesting that we don't let people tell us how to dress or what to drive but we allow people who develop these regulations to dictate how we live. Don't get me wrong the suburbs are not the only place that this occurs...many urban neighborhoods are also trying to enforce similar regulations.
This is a bit of a red herring. For every 1 case of a developer denying a color or material choice from a homeowner, there are 100 cases where the developer has insisted on additions and modifications to a home to try to avoid complete uniformity within the community. Left to their own devices, most homeowners would rather blow all of their budget on kitchen and ensuite upgrades and spend as little as possible on exterior finishings and architecture. This is the main reason for architectural controls.