View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 7:47 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Does anyone believe that the DFW region could support a system like this one day. Not what the TRE is. But the system that is currently in Washington DC, Atlanta, and San Francisco. I think it can if they wanted it. I know the cost is a gigantic hurdle though. That MLK station looks like a heavy rail station everytime I see it.
Heavy rail, using a third rail, either below or to the side, requires complete separation from people and other vehicles for safety. You wouldn't want to make it easy for people to electrocute themselves, intentionally or accidentally. That seclusion raises costs significantly.

Dart's light rail vehicles are shorter in height & length, and are much quieter than heavy rail vehicles. Which makes them very popular with its neighbors. The main advantages of heavy rail is technically achieved by using longer trains, and by being grade separated from all other traffic. All of Dart's light rail stations were built only so long (planned expansion up to 4 LRVs or 3 SLRVs). You'll have to completely redesign and rebuild all the stations to switch from light rail to heavy rail. Most crossings are at grade level. Replacing them with grade separations will be very expensive. Heavy rail can't run down city streets like Dart's light rail trains do through downtown Dallas. Most area citizens prefer the train stations to be open, where they are very visible, easy to find, and easy to access. The openness also gives a sense of security.

While it could be done in the future, I don't think Dart will as long as light rail vehicles move the traffic demanded from them.

Last edited by electricron; Jun 19, 2009 at 12:57 AM.