View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I still think RTD, and local municipalities should invest more in true BRT. It can work just as well as the train, at a fraction of the cost. With Bustang continuously exceeding ridership expectations, I don't see why this isn't explored more.
I've had some fun debates on behalf of BRT with a blog buddy in Phoenix. He grew up in NYC and he has no interest in BRT; has to be a train. He, like a lot of people would MUCH prefer to ride the rails. I can appreciate his thinking.

I'd conclude it depends on context. What Denver/RTD is planning for E Colfax is a splendid use of BRT. I especially like the center-running lanes through the denser area of Cap Hill before the buses will then move to curbside service. BTW, in a few more months we can celebrate the third decade of trying to accomplish this project.

Federal Blvd would seem to provide the same opportunity as Colfax. Beyond those streets it gets trickier (outside of downtown itself). It's much harder to justify dedicated lanes if other than for Rush Hours, buses are only needed infrequently. BAT lanes (especially downtown) might be an option in some cases. Over time and if one new BRT route is added every decade then maybe in a couple of decades it will be much different.