View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Ironically, I would argue that the local design community's seemingly intense disdain for buildings like Elysian and Ritz Carlton are exactly why we are getting buildings like this.

Chicago's design community is obviously at odds with the wealthy Chicago consumer, who actually wants to live in buildings such as this one. So what we get is poorly executed neo-historicism instead of well-executed neo-historicism. If more members of Chicago's design community actually embraced neo-historicism and accepted its role in MODERN day society, we would perhaps be seeing much more well executed developments.

But NOOOO... it's the tired (and increasingly annoying) "OH MY GOD THAT'S SUCH AN ATROCIOUS POMO PIECE OF SHIT, MY FELLOW ARCHITECTURAL SCHOOL BUDDIES WOULD TOTALLY HATE THAT, CHICAGO IS LIKE SO FAR BEHIND WE SHOULD BE ON THE CUTTING EDGE AND BE BUILDING REALLY NEAT MODERNIST & ABSTRACT STUFF LIKE THEY DO IN BERLIN" attitude (yes, a bit of hyperbole but many really do come across like this) that is just as damaging as LaGrange himself.
We're talking about the soul of the city; compromise is unacceptable.