View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 7:01 PM
A before E

Well I will say this there is a difference between studying historical architecture to understand the history of it and studying architecture to understand how to practice it.

You could go to school and learn all about the history of music, but in the end, none of that will teach you how to play a guitar. Same goes with architecture, practicing is much more different than admiring.

It is important to know all the different movements that have happened within architecture, but it is also just as important for you to understand the reasons for space.

My tip if you want to one day practice architecture is to look at schools that have a BArch degree...that is a professional degree, which means you can go straight into your internships to gather hours for you ARE as soon as you finish college...then if you wanted you could go back to school for a MArch or a MA in Architecture. Trust me, that is a much smarter route to take.

Also, visit colleges to see the departments in action, what the students are producing, talk to students to get their opinion on the program.

I am guessing you are pretty young and you sound alot like me when I was younger. I grew up in a suburban city and the old city near had demolished most of its historical architecture. I had always had a fascination with historical architecture, and still do. But now, I also have a large collection of practicing architects that inspire me as well as a stronger understanding on how I am able to design architecture and a strong understanding of how space works.