View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
http://www.historicaerials.com/

Looks like there was a one story industrial building with parking along Rockwell from the 1940s up until this project went up. Nothing to cry over.
True enough. But it isn't necessarily about saving what was, but rather making sure what replaces it is better. Example is the CBOT building. The old building was amazing, but nobody remembers it now because the new one is so much better.

To me, it is not about traditionalism vs modernism, either. Modernist buildings from the 60s and 70s were unparalleled as public buildings, for example. Rather, it is about insisting on quality. This building could be wonderful, but it probably wont be because it'll likely be built as cheaply as humanly possible, without builder pride about what he is adding or subtracting from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standpoor View Post
Thirded. Democracy Demands Wisdom.

Sorry for the frivolous post but I have been going on a protect the NEH rage of late.
What democracy? And if you refer to the complete breakdown of the republican system designed in this country, and we assume democracy, then what wisdom?

I also apologize for these substantial tangents; I just wish everyone knew how this city and it's ordinary citizens -- those who've lived here for generations and know nothing else -- are continually betrayed by the gov at all levels and their profiteer friends. ESPECIALLY, even MOSTLY, under the banner of social justice and benevolence. The evidence, all potential lessons, lies all over the city, scarring its fabric and destroying its memory for future generations.

Of course, they're merely "mistakes." Until they happen again. Did Maxwell's community have a choice in the 2000s? They were vocally defiant til the bulldozers came calling.

Last edited by vxt22; Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM.