View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
It's hard for me to get behind any of these. I hate the idea of pumping money into Navy Pier. It's too inaccessible to ever be a proper public space. I don't think it will ever break free from being what it is - a seedy tourist trap. To me it is a failed concept and I'd rather we focus our efforts on getting tourists to see the better parts of the city that are connected to the urban fabric. Furthermore, I, like denizen appreciate the traditional classical symmetry that exists there currently.
I think you are right and the overall benefit would be greater than the downfall to getting tourists out into the neighborhoods.

But coming from someone that worked in a tourist restaurant in River North I don't want many of these people in my neighborhood. A huge number of tourists are quite closed minded, judgemental, not pleasant and also a huge number are just blah both physically and mentally. Sorry to say that as a conclusion. Tourists don't like people or things that don't fit their bubble and Chicago certainly from housing styles, lifestyles is most certainly 'different'

I view parts of River North and Navy Pier as containment, I would leave there after working thinking good glad I'm going.