View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:19 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Jonathan Quick, what else can be said. he is spectacular. that wrap around save was redonkulous.
Someone else started the comparison between this year's Kings and the 03-04 Flames. That year, the Flames were 6th against Vancouver's 3rd, but it was still a stunning upset to most. They had a handful of skilled players, an incredible, unbelievable goaltender, and a bunch of 3rd/4th line grinders, with D. Sutter coaching them well beyond their abilities. And in 04, a former Oiler named Martin Gelinas became an unexpected overnight hero with his game winning goals. In 2012, it's another former Oiler named Stoll.

Incidentally, it's amusing to look at who's been eliminated. Pittsburgh, Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose - all teams who have recently either won the cup, made it to the final, or had a lot of deep playoff runs. I got bored and took a look at something - with things going the way they are, Chicago, Jersey, Boston, and the Rangers might drop out this week. Which means that out of the 8 teams left in the 2nd round, you have to go back to 1975 (Philly) to see the last time any of them won the cup.

I love underdogs and upsets, and I love new blood in the playoffs. This has been hands down the best so far in probably 20 years from my perspective.