View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 10:46 PM

Exclamation a bit off topic but...

Ok I'm new to these boards and I hope I don't sound too negative with this post but I'm pretty disappointed with the Freedom Tower all the way around. Maybe it's not the Freedom Tower itself. I like the design and think its quite handsome. I like the idea of it being a symbolic 1776 feet tall. yada yada.

Maybe its the american blood in me, but I think a good way to fight terrorism is to show the terrorists who #1 is. They knocked down two of our tallest landmarks. The largest attack on our country since Pearl Harbor (I believe). This served as a catalyst for our operations in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. It sent our country into an economic downturn and rattled the nerves of americans across the country.

As much as I like the idea of the tower being 1776 ft, it takes a mast (spire) to get that high! The roof is only 1368 ft- small change by todays standards. Personally I would have liked to show the terrorists that when they knock down the WTC, we will simply build the tallest skyscraper in the world in its place.... and we'll erect it faster than anyone too. We are the USA. I hope that doesnt sound too imperial but heck just look at the drawings of the freedom tower next to other supertall builidings around the world. It doesn't stand out as anything special! You put the Freedom Tower in Dubai and its just another building.

Those are just really my feelings speaking. Again, I actually like the Freedom Tower and think Tower 2 is even more handsome. I just would have liked to see more from the Freedom Tower. When the Empire St Bldg was erected it held the #1 ranking for forty years. Now that is impressive! The Freedom Tower? Just another cool tall building.