View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
that is personal too...the things i like about winipeg i dont find in calgary...in general all the prairie cities offer a similar level of 'urbanity'...i disagree that it is any more urban than winnipeg....they are quite comparable in downtown populations....the beltline and osborne are similar in populations and character.....both are essentially suburban cities where the single family home is king....i could make an argument that winnipeg is even more urban in its overall form, but comparasin is not the point.

i totally understand people who move to calgary for the money and i also understand that most of the world prefers cul de sac suburbs and shiny skyscrapers....i dont begrudge them that.

for me personally, i prefer a city of neighbourhoods like winnipeg...i like that our city has a bit of grunge to it.....i like all the treed strets and old houses....i like its history and character...i like the diversity....i know i am in the minority....

i guess my point is that just as with the respective outdoor activites, each city offers somewhat different amenities, but not drastically more of any one thing....so, the choice to live in any of the prairie cities is really a matter of which of these slight variations (lake vs. mountain) are important to you.
TV - we've been through this one before, remember - the core populations? It is close, but that will change within the next 5-10 years. You trigger a defense when you try and write Calgary off as "cul de sac suburbs and shiny skyscrapers"...you should know better. If you don't, you should likely do yourself a favour and visit Calgary properly...Kensington, Inglewood, Connaught, Marda Loop, Mission, etc. And future areas such as Bridges, and Garrison Woods/Green.

I'll give Winnipeg the grunge though.