View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
can't wait for the airport to be done!

ok guys I would like to get a constructive convo on the go about the bus system

What type of system or routes would you like to see in the city or what do you suggest for am efficient system??

here's what I would like to see... it's kind of based on how subway systems work (but with express routes)

I think there should be key hubs (downtown, the village, stavanger, MUN as the major hubs) then some minor hubs such as CNA, Marine institute, confederation bldg) ... between these major hubs there will be express routes (in the future ideally with bus lanes to make it even more effeciant) and with them leaving very frequently

To and from the minor hubs, there should be express or semi express routes connecting them to the major hubs

Then from all major hubs have the standard meandering routes branching from them which would be shorter now than they are currently .. these would be designed to get people to the hubs so they can get from one major area to another fast ..

Also these express routes can use the highway to say connect the avalon mall and stavanger or mun and stavanger etc.

Also Downtown I think there could be one stop in the west end which would be the major one and then another stop for the hub on the east end like in front of the sheraton but between them have the old street car letting people on and off going around downtown.

This system (while we wait for regional cooperation lol) they can make park and ride areas even within the municipal boarders just right at the edge and have shuttle buses to say downtown or to other hubs from them ... then later when other municipallities come on board they can designate a hub or a couple of hubs within their boundries and connect them easily to the others thoughout the city, this way there is a fast and efficient system

Also when this is in place there can be incentives such as the U pass for university students and DT parking deterrents to increase ridership

they could also have buses late night like thurs-saturday nights to shuttle ppl to hubs to be closer to where they live

what do you think?
What do you guys suggest?
Just wondering, would you (or anyone else) know anything about the new NovaBus LFS buses that Metrobus has ordered?

Winnipeg has a variety of the same system, the park and rides definitely need some work. However the rush hour service works quite well! Late night, with 30/45/60 min feeder frequencies do well, any higher frequencies usually suffer. Late night buses on main routes die down fast after 12am.

Do the outer towns already have service? I honestly have no idea, came here because my transit forum has no St. Johns members, and I can always rely on SSP to have transit threads