View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 2:31 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not CFL related, but I am currently watching the Calgary/Regina CIS playoff game on TV right now. There can't be any more than 300-400 fans in the stands. Meanwhile, I was at the NB High School Championship Football Game at Rocky Stone Field here in Moncton earlier this afternoon and there were about 3,500 in attendance. The same game last year had 4,000 attendees.

It was cold in Calgary to be sure, but it was a cool 3 degrees at game time, dropping to 1 degree by the end of the game in Moncton too, so weather shouldn't be a huge consideration here. Are we just tougher in the Maritimes?

Who says we don't have a football culture here in the Maritimes!
A winter storm just blew through the prairies with with more than 30cm dumped along the trans Canada from the Rockies all the way into Manitoba over the last 2 days, and the first of it was sleet/freezing rain (i.e. roads are terrible). Kickoff temperature in Calgary was -16 with a windchill of -23, not a comparably balmy 3, although yes, it was a poor showing. There is also the fact that most of the attention is currently on the Riders/Stamps game tomorrow, so unfortunately, the CIS game gets the back seat.

I did read something today though about the mayor of Halifax wanting to push for some sort of stadium. Not much was really said except that they think it is an important piece of sporting infrastructure. I'd love for Atlantic Canada to have representation in the league. Getting up to 10 teams so quickly after adding a 9th again (assuming a 2014 start for Ottawa) would be absolutely fantastic.