View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
This is exactly the kind of problem we have with many Vancouverites: straight rejection of anything that seems unfamiliar without giving more thoughts on how something can benefit us.

Although not a frequent driver, I sometimes wish that traffic choke-points around the Lower Mainland can be improved. If not, then we should make sure that the transit system is world class, or even allow developers to put even taller towers at already densified neighbourhoods. Please don't just reject it all.
To expand on some of your points, I sort of feel the same way about Vancouver in general. There is a certain (in my opinion) fear of certain things such as a proper road network, buildings that have large floorplates, buildings that are tall etc. You could say Vancouver punches far below its weight in these catagories. One could almost say Vancouver is afraid of acting/looking like a city of 2.5-3 million people imo.

I have been an "urban enthusiast" for as long as I can remember. I remember being like 6 or 7 years old and driving through downtown and trying to count all the floors in the office buildings before my dad would get a green light and start moving again. Now 30 years later the tallest office building is still the same tower I was looking at as a little boy. It bothers me that a 400k square foot office is considered at the upper end of large in Vancouver. It bothers me that people want to rip down old bridges and rebuild them with the same size bridge, or do nothing at all. It bothers me that having three general purpose lanes in one direction is quite rare in Vancouver (many of them seem to be add on/drop off lanes. It bothers me when you drive off the ferry in horshoe bay onto the quote unquote freeway, you hit a traffic light 300 feet from the ferry ramp. The approach to the second narrows bridge on the north van side is third world as far as I'm concerned. I could go on and on just about the roads in Vancouver. While improvements have been made, I have to agree with Libtard even when bc builds things new there is a certain "cheapness" and lack of foresight.

I was going to go on a rant about the height restrictions, but nothing I would say is going to add anything new to the topic. So I will just say Vancouver needs to rethink/ loosen them imo.

I kind of feel like I'm just bitching at this point lol. (maybe I am) So I'll shut up now. Come on Vancouver! Act your size and build accordingly, dont be scared.

Just to clarify I'm not trying to suggest Vancouver needs to build 16 lane freeways crisscrossing the lower mainland, and dozens of 1000 foot towers.