View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 12:35 PM

^^^
At this time, there are proposed track alignments at 1000 south in Sandy and also Draper, that would connect TRAX and FrontRunner. Check out this site for the detailed maps: http://www.rideuta.com/projects/drap...Rail/maps.aspx Whether there will be a transfer station in the immediate future or the possibility left open has yet to be determined. I guess a lot will depend on what happens with the current overview process now underway for Sandy and Draper itself. I imagine that because of the continuing population surge in the southern metro, there will be at the very least, an accomodation for transfer station capability in the near future. Soon, there will a need to extend lightrail/TRAX into Lehi, Am.Fork,Provo,etc.

The population of Utah Valley is expected to more than double within a very short while. Given the many barriers of a major lake and mountains, I think it is only probable that FrontRunner will need to be augmented by another option such as TRAX.

Even with a major freeway proceeding through Cedar Valley, and the current expansion of I-15, surface parkways, along with FrontRunner, that will not be sufficient to handle the traffic over on the east and north sides of Utah Lake.

There is a major bottleneck developing along the southern metro corridor that will be every bit as challenging as the corridor to the north of Downtown Salt Lake. I think that twenty years from now, several options will have to be fully utilized in order to keep the north/south flow of traffic running smoothly into the CBD of downtown from Utah Valley.

Your very familiar with the area Anyiliang. What do you envision?

Project Overview - Summer 2008:

The Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC), Salt Lake County’s metropolitan planning organization, and the Utah Transit Authority (UTA) have identified the need for a high-capacity transit option in the southern part of Salt Lake County. This transportation solution will maintain mobility and meet the long-term travel needs of the growing region as outlined in the 2030 Long Range Transportation Plan developed by WFRC.

UTA, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Transit Administration (FTA), is currently preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to evaluate the extension of fixed guideway light-rail transit service through the cities of Sandy and Draper to the southernmost part of Salt Lake County. Included in the study will be a two-track extension of the existing UTA North-South Light-Rail Transit (TRAX) line from its current terminus at 10000 South in Sandy to about 14600 South in Draper along the UTA-owned right-of-way.

The study area for the project is about 26.5 square miles and begins at the current end-of-line 10000 South station of the UTA North-South Light-Rail Transit (TRAX) line. It is generally bounded on the north by 10000 South, on the east by 1300 East and a line 1 mile east of the UTA-owned railroad right-of-way, on the south by a line 1 mile south of 14600 South, and on the west by the western Draper city limits and the Jordan River. The study area is located primarily in the cities of Sandy and Draper and includes parts of White City, South Jordan, and Bluffdale.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM.