View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Construction in 2013? I'll believe it when I see it. The Salter block project didn't even happen!
I hope this will mark an accelerated period of waterfront development, but I remain sceptical. The level of development of WDC lands over the past ten years has remained painfully slow while many other parts of the city have been built up substantially. It would be one thing if the waterfront land were undesirable or if the city were declining overall but when the WDC-controlled parking lots are surrounded by new office buildings and apartments it seems likely something's not right.

Hopefully this one will actually move beyond the planning stages and they'll get a few other developments in the pipeline, like Cable Wharf. The planning exercises themselves feel like they're meant to give the illusion of progress. They have a very low success rate in Halifax and it's not clear how important they really are. Bishop's Landing is nice but it's a pretty normal condo development, aside from some technical issues that the developer had to worry about.