View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
calgary seems to do ok despite the mad freeze thaw cycles here.

i don't really know why that is.

edmonton fares worse from what i remember - the intersection at 106th street and about 40th ave, in duggan, looked like someone dumped a box of grenades all over the place a few years back. it was completely tore up with many large potholes.

it has since been completely re-paved.
Compared to Edmonton, Calgary's potholes situation is a breeze. Recently visited Edmonton, and my car took a beating even though I was driving like I was in some sort of spacecraft game as I was doing zig-zags around the crater filled streets. I read that Edmonton fills about 450,000 per year vs. 30-40,000/year in Calgary, and one of the main differences is the clay/softer foundations in Edmonton. It's not just the potholes, but there are big crack lines forming everywhere. It looks like the roads are about to sink in and take some cars along with it.

I don't know really know how much more can be done. Oddly enough, the city seems to have dished out a pretty big amount of $$ to re-pave quite a bit of roads over the last few years, but it seems like the situation might actually be getting worse. Even St. Albert, which spends a lot on items such re-paving, has some pretty brutal roads atm.