View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:27 PM

I concur. Great summary and critiques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
somebody goofed this one:

the Soho is shown on part of the site of 159 Parkdale, and then they don't show any of the approved future highrises! Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't use an angle with 159, 111 and 99 Parkdale shown as approved, to make it look like a more high-density, high--rise oriented context than currently. Strange. Especially since all of Hobin's drawings for 99 Parkdale assumed that there would be a similar highrise building next door at 111 (this was before Tega submitted their proposal, so it was shown as a "twin tower" for simplicity's sake).

The courtyard and repurposed school look nice, although if someone asked me what use should be made of an old school, with a gym, etc, in a core area of the city that's being planned to add tens of thousands of new residents over the decade, my answer would be "well, uhm, how about we use it as school?"

But I don't understand this tower at all. Why the square and the slab? why take up so much space? The shadows cast northward over Scott and the Transitway won't impact much of anyone, but the late afternoon and summer evening shadows which are cast to the southeast across Stirling, Pinhey, etc. will be much worse because of that L-shape (the orientation of the grid in this part of town is off nearly 45 degrees from the cardinal directions; so at the summer solstice, sunset is almost in the "north" on the street grid).