View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2005, 10:05 PM
Gainfully Employed

WSFS is moving in and naming the building after itself (maybe I'll be close to a window).

15-Story Office Tower Planned for Downtown Wilmington

By MAUREEN MILFORD / The News Journal
06/09/2005

Wilmington real estate developer Buccini/Pollin Group said today it will build a $90 million, 15-story office tower on Delaware Avenue in downtown Wilmington that promises to transform the gateway to the city from I-95.

WSFS Bank, which owns the land, will be a lead tenant in the tower, and the building will be named WSFS Bank Center. WSFS will move its corporate offices to the new building.

Construction on the 350,000-square-foot tower on Delaware Avenue at Washington and Jefferson streets is expected to begin July 1, with a completion date set for November 2006, said Christopher F. Buccini, partner in Buccini/Pollin Group. The land, which is a full city block, is now being used as a parking lot. The bank, which has a minority interest in the building, will lease 60,000 square feet in the new building.

Once the new building is completed, Buccini/Pollin will buy the bank’s existing five-story headquarters building at Ninth and North Market streets. Buccini said the plan is to convert the 1920 neoclassical structure for retail and residential use. WSFS will keep a branch in the building.

Besides WSFS, the law firm of Morris, James, Hitchens & Williams in Wilmington also has agreed to take 60,000 square feet in the new tower, Buccini said.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is negotiating to take space in the building, said John Rago, communications director to Mayor James M. Baker. The post office is now in the Wilmington Trust Center on Rodney Square. Wilmington Trust has said it will not renew its lease with the post office.

-------------

Sucks the building has been reduced by three floors, though.

That's interesting about the post office moving. I think it'll be a little tight in the garage for all the truck parking and transfer operations.