View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 7:35 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Aweome! Placerville looks like it's still inhabited, based on road signs, the handicapped church entrance, mowed lawns, and some cars. How does it feel now? Pretty deserted? Like a regular run-down town if someone didn't know the history?

The scenery pictures are great as well. It must be fun going up into the mountains.

I'm looking forward to your Idaho City thread. It looks like it will look nice in Winter or Spring weather.

Thanks xzmattzx. Good questions since since the town is not completely abandoned. Placerville has a deserted look and feel, even though some people live there year round, but there aren't a lot of old structures left, and the museums are only open during the summer, and if I remember correctly, there is a church service on occasion. Areas of the town have grass around the older buildings to help protect them in case of a forest fire.

To get to the town you have to drive on 12 miles of dirt forest roads so Placerville is isolated and I think most people, if they didn't know the history, would start to assume it is an old mining town because of the mines, rusted out and abandoned mining machinery, wooden shacks, that are visible along the drive. Plus it has that look and vibe of most old mining ghost towns in Idaho.

Idaho City has a much larger stock of old buildings, even more than Silver City, so there will be a lot more photos of buildings in the next thread.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse