View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:22 PM
Urbane observer

The news from last night's presentation on a new Green Line station at Cermak:

Cermak was chosen over 18th for several reasons, including interference with 18th Junction, transfers from the Cermak bus, proximity to McCormick Place, and a ridership study. Projections are for 2000 "riders" a day at Cermak. I didn't demand clarification about whether that was in fact "boardings."

The construction schedule is rather aggressive, with construction beginning in 2013 and the station opening in 2014. A design firm will be chosen soon, but some parts of the program are set: no property acquisition, main entrance on north side of Cermak, auxiliary entrances on south side and also at 23rd to serve McCormick Place.

The astonishing cost—projected as $50 million for a simple island-platform station—was defended because it will be "a tight time-frame" and "built under traffic." Morgan (to open in May, we learned) was only $40 million. The Cermak station will be paid for by TIF funds from the Near South district, which sunsets in 2014.

I know I'm the only person who continues to tilt at this particular windmill, but just for comparison: An entire suburban Walmart costs about $14 million to build. The Tollway Authority yesterday approved an entire interchange at Route 47 (to be built under traffic at Davis-Bacon rates) for $36 million. The new eight-story Jones HS at State & Polk is only $90 million.