View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:08 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Publix:
I thought the forum may find this interesting. Publix is building a grocery store that could reach 2-3 storeys in height, at the former Masonic Temple site, across from the 7-storey First Tennessee Bank Building. The site is so small, they have to build parking under the store! It will have an elevator, moving sidewalks, and is slightly smaller than the usual publix. I've seen multi-storey Publix stores like this in Miami, but I've never been to a grocery store with an elevator, moving sidewalks, and parking under the store. I'm guessing the moving sidewalks allow customers to take their carts from floor-to-floor? The next time I visit Winston-Salem, I may try to visit this store? It will be the only publix like this in the state too. Though they now have permits, I can't seem to find a rendering of this custom-designed Publix. It was announced a year ago, but they don't have a general contractor and don't expect to start construction until early next year? Whatever they are building must be very complex to require this much time for design and to fit it on the small site? I heard they paid a very high price for the site too. It's great to see a grocery store constructing upward instead of outward!

Plant 64:
Shortened from an interview in CP Executive:
The key factors that made Plant 64 appealing to investors were Pennrose’s strong reputation and track record for adaptive-reuse developments and the location of Plant 64 at the gateway of the Innovation Quarter, an industry leading hub for science and technology. Mark Dambly said “We were fortunate to have financing partners, such as Bank of America, Nationwide and Stonehenge Capital, who also envisioned the appeal and opportunities of this project.” Totaling 426,000 square feet, the group of five structures – three former factory buildings, a onetime storage warehouse, and an old power plant – will contain 242 new luxury loft apartments and 9,700 square feet of retail. At Plant 64, we are targeting people who are interested in living in an upscale, downtown location that includes modern amenities and apartment features.

Capstone Building provided an awesome October update on this $55 million adaptive reuse project! Thank you to Capstone for sharing these!

Credit: Capstone Building

Floor Number Art:

I found two older images from September that are also interesting:

The Growing Apartment Market:
According to NAI Earle Furman, the quarter-over-quarter occupancy level in Winston-Salem increased 0.5 points to 93 percent, with positive absorption. Winston-Salem’s unique mix of arts and entertainment, coupled with the tremendous development of the Innovation Quarter are driving the demand for class A apartment residences in this market. The Innovation Quarter is one of the fastest growing urban-based research parks in the U.S.

Allow me to summarize: Expect more apartment announcements.

B/E Aerospace Engineering Development Lab:
This is a building for aerospace engineers at Winston-Salem's B/E Aerospace to test their designs. I want to thank West & Stem for providing updates! I really want to see a video of the acceleration test sled in action!

Credit: West & Stem

Downtown Beach:
The development team behind West End Mill Works proposed cleaning-up the waterway along Canal Street and building a downtown beach along it. No renderings or details at this time. This sounds like fun!

The Village Lofts:
An exterior update! I love the new windows in this building! They do look very similar to the originals from the 1920s.

Credit: The Village Lofts

Bailey Park @ East End:
Cedar installation on the storage and public restroom building. This looks good!

Credit: Pete Fala

The Edge Flats:
The Edge Flats begin leasing, October 30, for Tower One. I think move-in is early next year? I was looking at the progress and noticed what appears to be a third 7-storey tower, under construction? Is it part of Tower Two or a third tower?

Credit: The Edge Flats

Credit: The Edge Flats

Union Station and Streetcar Maintenance Facility:
The city is already advertising for bids to start some of the renovation work. We could have this in the construction list soon!

Ashley Expansion?
Look for more jobs and construction at the Ashley site, soon! They expect to make the announcement in a few months.

50 West Fourth Apartments:
Finding an update on this building is rare! And it's in the middle of downtown, near a major photographed landmark!

Credit: W. Danny Khounsavanh

Transportation Infrastructure:

Don't forget to vote for Ted Kaplan! Register & Vote! Yes, he said this in the city's indie newspaper interview on the candidates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kaplan
“We could have light rail directly from downtown Winston-Salem to the airport,” he said. “You could park your car, catch a PART bus or light rail and go to the airport. It would be great.”

The candidate declined to speculate on a time frame for such an initiative.

“It takes thinking a little outside the box and putting your foot forward,” Ted Kaplan said.
Interesting News & Placemaking:

Daniel Boone Property:
65 acres, in suburban Winston-Salem, that was once owned by the legendary pioneer Daniel Boone, is being auctioned. It's part of a 650-acre tract granted by the king of England to Daniel Boone's father, Squire Boone, in 1753. Squire Boone later sold the property to Daniel Boone. The land consists of the last remaining 65 acres that are in the Boone family.

If you're new to Winston-Salem, don't forget to visit the Daniel Boone Monument in Winston-Salem's historic West End, near Hanes Park and the Fish Market.

Love is Love Festival:
Be sure to attend the Love is Love Celebration, to commemorate the overturning of Amendment One, and honor and celebrate all loving relationships, and their importance to our individual and collective well-being. The event will be held on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 from 2:30-4:30 p.m., at the Green Room.

BB&T Ballpark:
This is an interesting photograph of the ballpark. The ballpark is holding an event for families called Field of Fears. It's about defeating your fears.

Credit: Alexandra

Interesting Old Hotel:
I found this postcard, which features Moores' Knob (highest point in the Winston-Salem Metro Area) and an interesting Victorian hotel. I thought you may find it interesting?

Credit: N.C. Room / Winston-Salem Central Library

Winston-Salem Gay Pride Parade:
A few photographs of the event. Be sure to visit Winston-Salem for next year's Pride. Again, this is a multi-day festival.

Credit: Kennedy H

There are actually several different flags. Do you know all of them?

Credit: Amy L. Wagner

IQ District Skateboard Ban Defeated!
According to the Journal: When it came up for discussion on Monday, the council members who spoke showed little sympathy for a ban. This is an awesome city! Now the IQ District can start work building a skate park, to address their concerns, as part of the Bailey Power Plant development.

Council Member Molly Leight: “The more I thought about this, the more I have had a problem with banning skateboarding just simply because it is what the kids want – the freedom to skateboard. If there is a way in fact to protect certain surfaces, I think the sidewalks and whatever ought to allow skateboarding. I feel (a ban is) infringing on the freedom of kids to enjoy themselves.”

Council Member James Taylor: “We want to encourage skateboarding and discourage property damage."