Thread: 2018 CFL Season
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
How about "everything we've seen from him to date?"
Seriously, is there anyone who thinks that this will go well for the Ti-Cats, or for that matter, any other team stupid enough to throw valuable salary cap dollars at this walking, talking dumpster fire?
Ha. You beat me to it.

In terms of raw ability, Manziel is clearly elite. But come on, this is a guy for whatever reason simply lacks the discipline and willingness to compete at the pro level. Here's a guy who gained fame as a Heisman winner and was basically handed a script where he'd be the hero to turn around the Cleveland Browns. He squandered it completely by drinking, carousing and doing who knows what else. Within two years he went from first round NFL pick and future superstar to completely flamed out.

If Manziel really put his mind to it I'm sure he would do fantastically well. But at this point he's a guy who is two years out of football and will be up against guys who are less talented, but far hungrier than he is. And as I've said before, if he couldn't be bothered to get it together for his rookie salary of $2,000,000 and NFL glory, I don't think a $200,000 (Canadian) or however much deal with the Ticats will be worth is going to get him revved up and focused again.

Signing Manziel will be a PR stunt and not much more. Does anyone seriously imagine him leading a team to the Grey Cup? I can't. Meeting the minimum league standards to be allowed to play is one thing, but actually being in a mindset that will lead to on-field success is totally different.