View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 8:52 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
I thought I'd make a new thread about this topic. Everytime you read a local online news article, bronconnier and his city council crew get hammered...

The next municipal election for Calgary is in October of 2010, it's going to be heated and current members of city hall going to get torn up
Have you forgotten where you live? Bronco and Council will stop passing big ticket items prior to the elections and appease the citizens in other ways (i.e. not making them care about Municipal politics) and all will be forgotten. In a way, Municipal politics in Calgary is like the Leafs in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
The city approved it, they should manage their money better. That way they wouldn't have to introduce all these taxes.
While Wooster touched on this (below), I'd like to go further. The main reason why Municipalities appear to be Nickle N' Diming it is due to the fact that they are limited to Indirect Taxation as they have no power to Direct Taxation. Worse yet, although they have a large number of taxes and fees, these combined amount to less than 15% of all taxes paid in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

In my opinion, the reason why the city has to constantly increase taxes (along with every other municipality in Canada I might add) is because we rely so heavily on a fundamentally flawed taxation system - property taxes, which doesn't automatically keep up with economic growth, like income taxes do. I'm not defending all expenditure as prudent or wise - much of what the City of Calgary prioritizes I think is total bullshit - but I understand why tax rates from property goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Yup, agree with the above two posts. I'm not a huge Bronco fan but he is preferable to the likely successor.
I've always voted against Bronco but so far out of everybody that has hinted they might run for Mayor, he'd be my choice.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz