View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 7:32 AM

I have to agree - this is game changing. One of the prof's I had at SMU put it this way: This could be the biggest growth spurt in Halifax since the city was founded.

That being said - I agree that it's time to start thinking about moving more urban than suburban. But keep in mind - a change in direction can't just occur over night and it's not like it could turn on a dime. Plan It Calgary (Calgary's Municipal Development Plan) recognizes that we need a more compact urban city but recognizes it will likely take 15 years for things to slow down, stop and then switch gears. If you look at the suburban land that is zoned for growth and ready to go, there is all of Bedford West ready to come online, plus the rest of Royal Hemlocks and Russell Lake. Add to that the pockets of Clayton Park West that aren't finished, Mount Royale and I'm sure I've missed a few more - that isn't just going to stop because of this contract.

Where I hold out hope is the Regional Centre Plan - although what concerns me is the 'draft map' with the urban typologies. There needs to be a lot of consideration in the plan for regional centre transportation - which is where I see streetcars being used to revitalize areas that need major new development (i've harped on Agricola, but also Highfield Park and even Shannon Park should the stadium not go there). I would say that what they had thought might have been a typical project for the regional centre plan probably has a lot more twists now.

As to the attitude about NS and how it dealt with this win - I think all you need to do is look at the coverage CTV has provided and the fact that it had 3 stories the day of the announcement and then a few new articles a week later - to show you that the negativity is slowly being washed away. Whether people like it or not, the growth is coming...it's either figure out reasonable compromise or get swept away.

It will be interesting to see how groups like the heritage trust and STV are perceived moving forward...I suspect they will fall into the swept away as they will be considered obstacles and that all of council will get on board with progress.

I'm also going to add this link - a very well done video.