View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Video Link

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
It appears as if they are now working on the restaurant on the far northeast corner. With the crane now on Patterson Avenue, I'm guessing it will be taken apart and moved, soon?

Credit: humpy3rd

757 North Apartments:

These apartments have a nice view:

Credit: 757 North

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
It appears as if four floors are completed, from this view? They will construct five more floors, with the completed building rising nine floors above the bike and walking path.

Credit: bioshacker

607 North Trade Building:
Our first look at the inside. The building will have two restaurant spaces.

Credit: MissOrasKitchen

Credit: MissOrasKitchen

Quarry Park:

Credit: breannafilson

Credit: breannafilson

Plaza Building & Galleria:

Workers have completed the skybridge:

Credit: CareersAtRAI

And just in time, too! I think the city may have banned skybridges or is in the process of doing so? They reduce pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks. Yes, I think I read somewhere that is their reason for banning them?

West End Station:
The demolition for this new apartment development has exposed the back side of a building that was once Colonial Revival rowhouses. It was converted from rowhouses to ugly modernist retail spaces several years ago. Someone also added stairs to separate the upstairs from the downstairs. You can tell from the back that it was once rowhouses, since all rowhouse structures in the city look similar to this on their back sides. This block has another rowhouse structure next to this building, too. That building is restored, though.

Back side of 100+ year old rowhouses converted to retail spaces several years ago:

Credit: clarkwork

Stevens Center Apartments:

Credit: glennfulk

Mixxer Makerspace:
We finally have a rendering for this project, which is slow moving. It appears as if they selected the Arts District (DADA) site.

Credit: Mixxer

MINIM:

Credit: film_brilliant

901 North Trade Building:
I was told this project could become a massive arts center. Possibly offering affordable studio space for artists? Still waiting for more details on this project.

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters:
An update on the headquarters for an LGBT-owned development company and space for Duke University.

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Convention Center Renovation:

View from the hotel across the street:

Credit: keyyz__

San Francisco World Spirits Competition:
Downtown Winston-Salem's own Sutler's Spirit Co., won gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition!

OpenTable's “2017 100 Best Brunch Restaurants”:
The Bistro at Childress Vineyards is on OpenTable's “2017 100 Best Brunch Restaurants in America” list. Very impressive. Only seven restaurants in the Carolinas made the list.

Forsyth County Courthouse:
The cost of all options continue to increase while we wait and wait and wait and wait for commissioners to do something. A new three building proposal includes an office building, a parking deck for county court office building employees, and a courthouse building with underground parking under the building. Yes, a three structure proposal filling three sites in downtown's Government District. The courthouse in this proposal will be designed to add more floors in the future.

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Credit: Keith Hall Photography

Credit: hammerhead_built

Credit: sydsmimi

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:

"Future entrance to Bookmarks' new headquarters/bookstore on 4th Street."

Credit: winstonwatchman

The architect said they will restore these original windows:

This is the cafe space in the bookstore:

Vintage sign in the breezeway:

Credit: cgcmk3

Merschel / Civic Plaza Park:
Someone at WSTB told me MLA Design Group was "doing some survey work" last week.

Hotel Indigo:
The City of Winston-Salem is working with the developer to document the conversion of this building into a hotel.

Credit: bestofwinstonsalem

Credit: 4nnieo

Hotel Lobby:

Credit: cityofws

You can see the original nailing strips to attach the 1920s Zenitherm marble panels:

Original menu and receipts from the Sir Winston Restaurant:

The sub-basement, where the 1920s luxury department store stored merchandise:

Wow, think of what may have been on these shelves in the 1920s and 30s!

Using a drone to explore the former Art Deco department store's old merchandise storage shelves:

Are we sure they aren't ghost hunting (above) with that equipment...

These are the original 1928 glass globes from the "schoolhouse" pendant lights:

The developer will reuse these globes, in the original light fixtures, in the hotel lobby:

Original 1928 electrical boxes and wiring:

Do you think about the original construction workers from 1928, when looking at photographs like this?

As you can see below (and in last week's update), they are cutting-out where the walls and bathrooms in the hotel rooms will be located.

Original 1928 hardwood floors from the old luxury department store:

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

The new color-changing LED bridge over Third Street, Fogle Street, and the Bath Waterway:

Credit: reid_camelcity

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
If you want to attend this, you have to be there at 8:30 this morning! It looks like fun. I wish it was later in the evening, so more people could attend.

Credit: Creative Corridors

Off-Subject:

Strada Architects shared "before & after" photographs of the 1929 Kimpton Cardinal Hotel.

Credit: Strada Architects

Sadly, the Art Deco Caravan Room Restaurant doesn't look anything like it once did:

Random Photographs:

Yes, this is in the city limits (Winston Lake):

Credit: through_eddies_lens

Longest continuously operating hotel in Winston-Salem (open since 1844):

Credit: ruedesballons_bergamot

Credit: gearsandguitarsws

A foggy morning, as seen from the 30-storey Winston Tower skyscraper:

Credit: ashleydiane85

Credit: swimwtfishes

Credit: graciehearts273