View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Lauren said my jazz and folk music is too depressing for this thread and suggested this song for today's update.

Video Link

I think I should cut the music from the thread, to speed-up page loading time. However, she insists adding music will improve the weekly updates. So, the music returns for this week's update.

500 West Fifth Street:
Construction could begin in a little over three weeks! I'm excited! Sadly, there isn't much to show, right now. I'm guessing it's still in design?

Credit: jonathonohtanoj

Convention Center Renovation:

A first look at some of the artwork planned for the convention center:

Credit: twin_city_quarter

The artist's name, in the photograph above, is Lea Lackey-Zachmann.

Salem Lake Marina:
The photographer said "7 mile bike ride with beautiful scenery! The Salem Lake Marina is going to be nice once it's finished."

Yes, this beautiful lake and park are inside the city limits, a short bike ride from downtown:

Credit: mandamcc23

Staybridge Suites Hotel & Office Building:
According to posts on the WSTB Forum, the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel didn't like IHG allowing a Hotel Indigo and a Staybridge Suites at the Pepper Building site, across the square from the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel. Remember, last week, this thread reported on a possible buyer for all or part of this two hotel site. The Hotel Indigo flag is already granted to the developer and it's under-construction, but Kimpton was able to stop the Staybridge Suites flag from being granted to the developer. However, the developer is now looking into bringing a Hyatt Place hotel to the site, instead of Staybridge Suites. If they can secure the financing, the Hyatt Place Hotel flag is seen as very likely. Hyatt would like a hotel in downtown Winston-Salem. So, we may have to change the name of the Staybridge project to Hyatt Place? I'll wait for the official announcement, before making changes.

Hotel Indigo:
If you haven't done so already, please read the news on the Staybridge Suites project, above. Hotel Indigo and the Staybridge Suites project are connected.

winston_360 used an infrared filter to make this ghost ad visible:

Credit: winston_360

Rooftop basketball?

Credit: davidbeesknees

I really want to see this building completed:

Credit: a_fletch97

Credit: a_fletch97

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

It appears as if they closed half of Cherry Street for construction?

Credit: imlikenevernotsarcastic

Mixxer Makerspace:
We finally know the building and the plans for the space. It's the building to the north of the Arts Based School. It is directly across the street from the downtown art-centered elementary and middle schools.

Credit: Mixxer

First Baptist Church Restoration:
This tall church from 1925 could be restored, beginning in Summer 2018. It still requires a final approval. The congregation has declined from 2,000 members to just under 500 today and it continues to decline. They no longer need a building of this size. So, they will demolish nearly half of the building. The part of the structure to be demolished was constructed between 1954-1961 as expansions. The church can no longer afford the upkeep on a building at the current size, with their older and declining membership. The age of the building also requires more upkeep, which is very expensive. If the church decides to move forward with this plan, they would build a new 4,200 square foot multi-function space and an outdoor chapel where the 1954-1961 expansions are currently located. The plans being discussed also include a major renovation of the 1925 building.

The downside to all of this: The 1961 expansion is attractive. It will be sad to lose it, but I understand why they must do this. Another downside: They may continue to lose members and the building will be less valuable to an apartment developer, arts group, or someone interested in converting it to a massive domed concert venue. I would like to see the church sell the property and rent it from the developer/group that buys it. A developer could use tax credits and restore it as a concert hall and maybe retail or office? Maybe something arts related in the 1954-1961 buildings? If they decide to sell, they should market this building as a concert venue or performing arts center. I've also seen these buildings converted to breweries. It would make an awesome apartment building. Even more interesting than the Courthouse converted to apartments. It could also become part of the convention center or maybe a separate convention/meeting space?

Credit: pulsefbcws

This church was constructed when Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest city and the state's richest city. It was one of the city's "show projects" from that time. It's a very unique interior design I haven't seen before. Even the chandelier is a unique design I haven't seen in a church before. The next time I visit Winston-Salem, I would love to take photographs of some of these amazing church buildings.

Credit: JD Clark

This building has an amazing interior:

Credit: pulsefbcws

This is from the last renovation, around 2007:

Credit: First on Fifth

607 North Trade Building:
They painted-over the mural.

4 a.m., on a Thursday:

Credit: violet_t_529

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
They should be close to starting work on the stair/elevator cores and precast structure?

Credit: mywinstonsalem

Credit: Filip Kricka

Downtown Winston-Salem Law Firm Grows Larger:
WCSR is buying a London-based law firm. WCSR will become a top-80 law firm in the United States after the merger and have around half-a-billion-dollars in annual revenue. WCSR is headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem's One West Fourth skyscraper, as the building's anchor tenant.

Central on 5th:
Frank L. Blum Construction shared a great update and said "One thing is clear: This is not your grandfather's (or your father's) public library! It will be a community gathering place for settling down with a cup of coffee and a laptop computer, attending events and programs in an auditorium, catching up on happenings on the interactive feature wall, AND -- of course -- checking out books!"

This project looks better than I thought it would! I love the bright colors and the LIBRARY sign does light-up at night! Blum Construction did an amazing job with this project! It's flawless construction. Easily, my favorite GC.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Workers are installing glass on the north facade's window wall and are preparing to clad the structure. Could we see a few pieces of cladding installed on the expansion before the end of this month?

Credit: matthines_

Credit: luvthearts

Credit: trak3000

Credit: wfuniversity

See the construction through the windows on the right:

Credit: bbalanced.bwell.byou

Credit: dertyconejo

A great look at the bridge connecting Building 23-1 and Building 23-2:

Credit: cliffordkoufman

Credit: skylerbrownphoto

It's my favorite construction project, too!

Credit: wf_sip

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company:
"New exterior walls are up, plumbing and electrical work is wrapping up, and painting is underway. Our bar top, constructed with 105 year old heart pine reclaimed from a historic Trade Street building, has been built and awaits installation. Brewing and bar equipment are beginning to show up at the site. It’s a long process with a lot of moving pieces, but there is light (and beer) at the end of the tunnel!"

Boiler installation:

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
As I've said before, it's still under construction and people are already using it. It's the back entrance to several residential, office, and school buildings. This should be really popular when it's completed. They are saying it will be completed sometime this Summer?

Credit: baywillums

Zagster Bike Share - Phase II:
And it's back on our construction list! According to City Beat, the next phase will expand the bike share to surrounding neighborhoods and colleges. Matthew Burczyk said during Phase 2 of the project he anticipates more stations will be added to serve a larger geographic footprint. This will allow more bike commuting. And yes, everyone is talking about how popular it is. It's common to see nearly all of the bikes checked-out at the downtown stations.

Credit: krankiescafe

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

The hashtag #hipsterparadise was added to this image:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: justin.hazzard

Credit: irawaywalker

If you live downtown, be sure to visit Cobblestone Farmers Market:

Credit: fair_share_farm

This is across the street from Bailey Power Plant / Bailey Park and they have Sunday dance music parties:

Credit: mesmerizer_records