View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:41 PM

Consider from the standpoint of being a client business (not from the standpoint of the real estate developers, construction contractors, etc)

A) What would my business be willing to pay extra for storing items at DIA next to air freight? What would my demand be for such storage in terms of a cost-benefit analysis between point of manufacture and use in the Denver CMSA?

Many US companies use the Kinko-Fedex connection for shipping high value items. Lower priced items per pound can be shipped via trucks. Low priced, non-critical items can be shipped by rail.

B) What are the advantages and the additional costs involved for my sending technical and/or sales personnel to stay at or very near DIA, in terms of their servicing customers throughout the CMSA? What time advantages do members of my team have by staying at or near DIA versus renting a car and staying at a hotel/motel near I-25 or I-70? Do I force local clients to VISIT team members at or near DIA or do I have personnel take a rent a car and visit them? What percentages of such trips can be handled from the home office (or the employee's residence for that matter) in lieu of physically sending them to Denver?

C) As an upper management person, would I want to stay at or near Denver for meetings etc., that I could handle via increasingly sophisticated web video conferencing? How much could I rationalize I or my managerial staff using DIA as a hub for a working vacation? Is staying at DIA critical for me or my staff to see Colorado (why not stay in Aspen, Avon, Breckenridge and use video conferencing from there?)?

D) If my team is in Colorado, and thinking about staying at DIA, to service multiple clients in the Denver CMSA what advantages are there to not renting a car? Is the time-value cost of money saved by not renting a car spent due to the terrible inefficientcies of traveling anywhere except to Lodo (when the DIA line is complete)?

Now, if the movers and shakers wanted to make a real improvement, IMO, they would run a freight rail line due south from the BNSF line, and, T it into the DIA rail line, and keep it running due south to the UP line. Tie that line into an intermodal yard. This would permit bulk air freight to seemlessly merge with high value air freight and even container shipping.

But, to believe that DIA alone could become a major destination without cost effective means to move business personnel about Metro Denver given the requirement for a rent-a-car in the vast majority of cases, IMO, this is little more than a property development scheme, indirectly or directly financed with public money via boarding fees and other hidden taxes.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; May 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM.