View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
Yes, calling it completely suburban is a mistake, similar to calling Los Angeles suburban. Its way too dense and busy to be compared to Skokie. As a transit user who worked near Old Orchard at one time, I was one of maybe 4 pedestrians per day who walked the sidewalks over there. There is steady stream of pedestrians near North and Clybourn, unfortunately developers haven't gotten the point.
Well I was focusing on the built form of particular areas not the surrounding neighborhoods. Clearly the areas surrounding North / Clybourn are much denser etc than surrounding skokie. I don't think I characterized the area as completely suburban. Nonetheless the built form of those certain highrise parcels resemble one another; they both lack what some of called the fine grained character that goes a long way to establishing what I think most on this board would characterize as urban.

The more recent development around North / Clybourn has been much better that development 15-10 years ago I really hope that trajectory continues and the area does develop into a full blown urban district