View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 2:47 AM
Honored Member

Question New or Re-use of Existing Buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145
Does anyone have a website or rendering they can post on this? It's great when a residential developer goes to the extra effort on something like this.

I'm not familiar with the project in question, "Victorian Village." I believe Sawtooth originally asked about it. I know ther is a subdivision that is named Victorian Village; however, it is established. So I don't know if this could be another phase of single homes or another project.

I wanted to pose another question. While it exciting to think that Taylor's Crossing if finally going to start building their various options for housing. And, it sounds like Ball Ventures is following the theme immediately south of Pancheri. Hopefully, that will start the new urbanism and others will enjoy it enough to want to create it elsewhere.

But, I've been thinking lately, we're focusing on how to see towers with mixed use be built in various parts of the city. However, we still have a few "empty boxes." So I'm wondering what all of you think should be done with facilities like the building on W. Broadway that use to be Ernst? Should it be torn down and real development occur there? Or, should it become a community center of sorts with possibly even Saturday Markets? Should the city buy it and use it as a rec center? Should a charitable drive occur and try to link some of the social service agencies in a building like this?

I don't claim to have the answer to this question and others, but as some buildings are being replace (like the new State of Idaho buildings, Health Department, Employement etc.) what should happen to their former buildings?

This is an opportunity to use your imagination, based on what you know about the buildings and the community's needs and wants. What should we do with these buildings? I'm looking forward to reading what many of you think.