View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean View Post
Most of the time I support condo developments but this project doesn't make sense to me. Norman is a dead-end street that cannot handle a lot of car traffic. Now a developer wants to shove 159 units into a small space. Good luck with that.
I don't understand that statement. I'm not a traffic engineer so I'm just trying to figure this out from common sense, but here's my take.

We've got about 100m of road, and 200m of sidewalk that sees a grand total of about 50 cars a day. There is no through traffic. At all.

If there's a better location to put an additional traffic load then I don't know where it is.

And adding a light at Preston and Norman not only isn't necessary, it would make the situation worse for those entering the street. Currently if you're trying to turn left onto Norman you can expect the lights at Beech to stop southbound traffic regularly during busy times. And that also stops the flow of traffic that prevents a left turn. If the lights were synced then you'd probably get a red at Norman with the red at Beech which means only the left turner in the intersection gets to clear it.

The only thing I'd be worried about is traffic leaving Norman for Preston. I wonder if the developer would have a better chance if they bought one of the houses on Beech and turned it into a back exit from the complex.