View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:09 PM
Rational urbanist

Any reason you think Edmonton will fare better than Calgary? Seems to me that both are equally dependent on oil and the broader provincial economy.

For my own short-term predictions:
- BC will enter a new period of modest growth as prices start to lower and expats get to return because of it. Resource exploration in the north and associated industries will drive more settlement there.
- Alberta will recover. It won't hit the rush of a few years ago, but it'll become more steady, and I hope more stable.
- Saskatchewan will keep growing quickly
- Manitoba will stay more or less the same as a whole. Winnipeg will struggle as more indigenous people move there from remote communities, while making no progress on social development or welfare. Fast growing rural communities like Steinbach and Morden-Winkler will level out.
- Ontario and Quebec will chug along as always.
- Nova Scotia will see an increase in prosperity as Halifax continues to grow in stature, and as the province urbanizes
- New Brunswick and PEI will stay more or less the same
- Newfoundland will continue to struggle with its financial situation and demographics, but ever so slowly come to an improvement. We might see things get worse before they get better, but they will get better.