View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazepa
I'm been in U.S. from northernmost point bordering Canada in New-York state, down to Florida and in every state in between. I haven't observed any significant difference, in fact, besides the weather change as you go south, there's really no difference. Which is not the case in Europe. Romania and Norway, where to begin listing the differences?
I couldn't agree less.
I just got back from a 3 week roadtrip from NYC to Miami and you are trying to tell me someone from NY isn't as different from someone from rural Georgia as for example a Fin is from a Spaniard?
If you ask me someone from southern Europe has very much more in common with someone from northern Europe as a New Yorker has with a Georgian or an Alaskan with a Texan.

Quote:
There's just too much cultural differences between every European country. It's not the same as comparing immigrant groups of various backgrounds in U.S., because in America these groups sooner or later assimilate into what is called an American. There will never be such thing as simply "European", even if EU one day will include entire Europe.
What a narrow minded view. We watch the same tv, the same sports, eat the same foods, share the same politics, the same currency, lifestyles, largely share the same values and most importantly share the same history and culture. There will never be such a thing as European? Speak for yourself!
It's already a reality, perhaps one you don't recognise yet, but still very much so.
Maybe you should travel more, I never feel more European when abroad in a non European country surrounded by non Europeans and Europeans visiting there alike. It's like you somehow know what's going on with the other Europeans because you share so much with them already.