View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 4:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^In this case, it's more about politics than money. In the case of the TransBay tower, they need money to build the terminal and still don't have enough so they had little choice but to pick the developer who offered them far and away the most money. In this case, while the Port can use every dime it can get out of this site, there's no fixed requirement and they have the luxury of basing their decision on other considerations. In SF, "other considerations" usually involve political clout and from everything I read the Giants are pretty well wired in that department, certainly as compared to the other options.
I'm still skeptical because everything I've read says the port is even more desperate for funding (just to update and maintain their existing properties) than Transbay. I also read that this is their most valuable resource to close some of that gap. If anything, I would think this property would be even more susceptible to going to the highest bidder above all other considerations. On the other hand, I should keep in mind that the differences in the bids for Transbay were huge. If these come in anywhere near each other, hopefully the decision can be made on some of those other factors, like design and functionality.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park