View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just to be clear, few if any of the refugee claimants arriving at the Canadian border from the U.S. seem to be the All-American Joe from Tennessee types who are just pissed off at Trump.

They all seem to be people from war-torn or at least dirt poor countries who were in the U.S. temporarily and perhaps without any form of landed status, and have been caught in the crosshairs of Trump's measures (or fear that they will be).

Staying in the U.S. in the medium term is not an option for them at this point and coming to Canada is not a "cosmetic" choice. It's probably between coming here or being forced to go back to Syria or Somalia.
Okay, so the presumption is that the US would reject people from Syria and Somalia? I doubt that. Wait, is there still a war going on in Somalia?

As for poor people, they are NOT refugees.

I don't agree with the STCA because in my mind it clearly contravenes the UN treaty on refugees. Is the US still a safe third country if it's at war? That's meant to be funny because it's always at war. How about if war were to break out on American soil? Will the STCA be null and void suddenly in that case?

On the other hand, the STCA was enacted because the US and Canada are both pretty safe, open countries and signatories to the UN treaty on refugees. You have to be a bit suspicious of people who choose not to pursue their claim in the US because it probably indicates that their claim is not very strong to begin with.