View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:44 PM

Montreal will likely (IMO) get MLB back in the next couple of years, the ownership hopefuls there say they have their financing in place and include a Bronfman, and Tampa Bay can't get its stadium situation straightened out, while Montreal would play in the Big O until a new ballpark is built. Apparently a site south of downtown in Griffintown has been identified, it's near a station on the new commuter rail link, and Montreal will want a similar gift from the provincial government as QC got in the Videotron Centre, and TSN/Bell would love 162 TV games. NBA could well happen in the next couple of years as the owners of the Habs have already made inquiries about relocation....I suspect Orlando would be the team to move.

While Vancouver might be on the radar for an NBA relocation, and it would fill ~40 dates a year for the Aquilinis, I think it would be more likely as an expansion team. Sorry, but no MLB for Vancouver. I don't believe there's any appetite for a $500m+ outlay for a stadium. Although Molson Breweries and Jim Pattison formed a partnership in the 1980s with the intent of securing a franchise and almost snagged the Mariners, they were snubbed by MLB and I know of no potential ownership groups now.

CFL? unlikely anywhere, there's no clamour for it in Quebec, and Halifax can't get a stadium built.

NHL? Quebec is a matter of when, not if...Bettman has fires to put out in Phoenix, Carolina, Florida and Brooklyn...one of them will end up in QC...sorry Hamilton, I'd love to see it and have no doubt it would be a success, but the Leafs and the Sabres will never let it happen.

MLS? Not that I care, but its unlikely as well, what with the ridiculous expansion fees and poor TV ratings in Canada. That said, if Edmonton gets the 2026 Commonwealth Games, a 10 - 20,000 seat stadium is slated for Northlands, maybe Katz has a few dozen million to blow...